Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Katherine Leonard's Southern BBQ

Southern Barbeque

4 lbs. Boston butt roast, fleshed (fat cut off). This is also called a pork shoulder *
Five cloves garlic
2 med. Onions

Sauce:

¼ cup oil
1 cup vinegar (I use white or apple cider)
¼ cup water
½ tsp. dry mustard
¼ cup minced onion (fresh is best. I cut the onion small and then use a chopper to get very minced)

3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup sugar
4 cloves minced garlic
3 Tablespoons Tabasco sauce.

After fleshing the roast, place in a crock-pot with sliced onion, garlic and some salt and pepper. You can rub the garlic into the meat first and brown it on the stove in a pan, but I never do because it is too much work.

Combine ingredients for sauce, pour ¼ over the meat in the crock-pot. Cook meat on low for eight hours. Take meat out of crock-pot and let cool. Meat will be falling apart. When cool shred and remove remaining fat. It’s a bit tedious. Pour remaining sauce over meat and warm in a pan or clean crock-pot. Serve on buns with coleslaw ** and Tabasco.

*I have not tried it, but the next time I make this I think I will use a pork tenderloin. There is no fat to deal with. It may not cook as tender or shred as well, but I think I will try it. It may be a lot easier.

** For the coleslaw, I use a couple of bags of shredded cabbage from the store. I add a little bit if mayo, apple cider vinegar and a tiny bit of Dijon mustard and sugar. I try to leave it with a bit of crunch. I’m guessing about a ½ cup mayo, 1/3 cup vinegar and a Tablespoon of mustard and sugar.

I also like to double the sauce using two mason jars (it won’t double into one). The extra sauce gives it a little more zing.

1 comment: